Rock climbing outdoors is an amazing experience! You think you want to try it? Or you’ve already been a few times, tagging along with more experienced partners, but you aren’t confident about your own skills? Outdoor Sport Climbing 101 will help you develop the skills needed to start sport climbing outdoors.
This clinic will include instruction and practice on the ground and skills demonstration and practice on the rock on single-pitch, bolted sport climbs. There will be opportunity to top-rope and lead climb (for those who are interested).
This clinic will cover the following topics:
• Equipment overview
• Choosing and reading routes
• Movement on real rock
• Sport leading, “mock” leading (lead climbing with an additional top-rope) and lead falls (if you’re interested!)
• Lead belay techniques and considerations
• Building and cleaning sport anchors
• Being a responsible outdoor climber (awareness of common hazards, environmental impacts and other people).
Prerequisite: experience top-rope and/or lead belaying.
● 2 full days of climbing instruction - expect to be out from 8:00am-5:00pm
● Climbing equipment - personal climbing gear (harness, helmet, shoes and belay device) and group gear (ropes and hardware)
Does NOT include:
● Transport to and from the climbing area